Pages

Welcome. Golf Burn is a golf fanzine. The first of its knd we believe.
Golf Burn is a platform for golfers across the world to publish news, reviews and opinions of anything golf.

Thursday 30 August 2012

Dealing With Ryder Cup Rejection

I feel for Padraig Harrington. I know just how Harrington feels. We've all been there. Stood in the middle of a playing field while two team "captains" take turns to pick who they want on their team. Fortunately I was never picked last. I was a decent footballer, pacy, good feet and spirited. 

But I too have been excluded from a game of golf by my peers. I feel my story is even worse because my peers were my family. 

I am a son to my father, and nephew to my three uncles. Together we are the Brannings and we play golf every Sunday. And occasionally once through the week. 

One of my uncles befriended a man called James Wilson. James has three brothers that all play golf. My uncle and his chum arranged for all the brothers to go away together for a long weekend to play golf and to be merry. 

Unfortunately, none of the Wilsons had a son/nephew that could have joined they're team. So I had to miss out simply because I am a descendant of my father and not my fathers father. What are the chances. 

Credit goes to Harrington for dealing the situation like a gentleman. Did he whinge on twitter about the rejection? Did he criticise Jose Maria Olazabal for his team selection. No. Padraig admits that he wasn't the perfect choice, he has told reporters "dogs in the street knew I wasn't getting a pick". Posing for pictures with a sad face and posting on twitter is beneath golfers. 

Why are golfers so much more mature compared to their ball kicking counter parts. 

So what is next for Padraig. Well he is more than welcome to come for a round with me. I will teach him how to cope with rejection (I gotten pretty good at that, ever since high school I have been coping with the cold shoulder). Or Padrig could go on holiday for a long weekend at the end of September. Somewhere with no tv or Internet connection. 

But I am in doubt Harrington will be back in the spotlight. Padraig is a tremendous talent and there is the 2014 Ryder Cup at Gleneagles that he will be in contention for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment