Pages

Welcome. Golf Burn is a golf fanzine. The first of its knd we believe.
Golf Burn is a platform for golfers across the world to publish news, reviews and opinions of anything golf.

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Rangefinder App - Freecaddie

Rangefinders and GPS devices have seen a huge surge in demand as golfers seek more detailed knowledge of their target. They have pinpointed that technology can help them gain a more accurate understanding of the course and the hazards therein.

I recently decided to try out a GPS rangefinder app on my iPhone. After much research, about two minutes, I selected Freecaddie from Mobile Software Design. www.freecaddie.com/

The app presents the distance to the front, centre and back of the green. There is no image of the green, which could prove tricky for unfamiliar courses. There over 21,000 courses worldwide to download. Which couldn't be any easier to load onto your iPhone or iPod. 

This app is one of those free ones for the lite version, it is £5.99 for the pro edition. I chose the free version. Not simply because I'm tight, no, I wanted to try before I buy. But there's no way I'm paying £6 for it. 

Despite the lies, this is a fairly decent rangefinder. The free app is easy to use and surprisingly accurate at no cost. I positioned myself on top of the stone marker that indicated 139 yards to the centre of the green. Freecaddie was showing 137 yards. I figure that a discrepancy of two yards is not worth being agitated over. I have seen some of the top of the range GPS devices in action and I have read several reviews on them and the users have moaned over the lack of accuracy. I figure that for a free app that there no need to quibble over a mere two yards. 

This app gets a 4/5 rating simply because it is a free no frills GPS rangefinder. If the lite version is this good, then the £6 app must be amazing. The paid edition does show images of the course and distances to hazards. It can log your scores and these can be loaded on the Freecaddie website to be further scrutinised. 

I would recommend downloading the free app and watch the price on the pro version. If it drops below the £5.99 asking price then it is definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment