Pages

Welcome. Golf Burn is a golf fanzine. The first of its knd we believe.
Golf Burn is a platform for golfers across the world to publish news, reviews and opinions of anything golf.

Saturday 25 August 2012

Reasons why I keep playing

This is why I play golf. I didn't get off to a great start. Despite a decent first drive that split the fairway and a good seven iron playing safe, I looked up too early on my chip and spooned it right of the green. A nice recovery shot was followed by three putts. Rubbish.

The next few holes was pretty much the same. Until we arrived at the fifth. My playing partners both hit good drives straight down the middle. I attempted to follow them and my drive looked similar. Then it started drifting towards the lake. No! Noo! Get down! Bite! Biiiite!

Shit.

I now had a drop shot and a chip over the water to an awkward pin position. Out came the sand wedge and I just went for it. I didn't think about it or dwell on it. I just hit it.
I've seen the professionals hit chips that land an inch from the hole and this wasn't one of those shots. After what seemed like a life time in the air, the ball landed three feet from the flag and stopped dead. I'm not sure how I did it but it was good enough for for me. I strode up the ball and slotted it home for a par. 

The other two, well they scored five and a six. I won the hole and fell back in love with golf. I can play this game. My confidence was back. I went on to win two more holes and the longest drive.

While I didn't break that elusive 100 barrier I was close with a 101. Had I been tidier with my putts I would easily have been in the nineties. But the fifth made my day and restored my faith.

I will have to practise my putting as this is the area of my game that costs me shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment