Pages

Welcome. Golf Burn is a golf fanzine. The first of its knd we believe.
Golf Burn is a platform for golfers across the world to publish news, reviews and opinions of anything golf.

Thursday 27 September 2012

Ryder Cup Hype

So the Ryder Cup is now upon us and it is the most eagerly anticipated one since the infamous celebration of 1999.

I most admit I wasn't watching the Americans storm the green in 1999. I wasn't even interested in golf then. I wasn't interested in the Ryder Cup until 2010. That was when I was bitten.

For the Celtic Manor competition I was in Spain taking part in a low budget Ryder Cup tourny. We had formed two teams but both declared to be the Europeans. No one wanted to play the part of the Yanks.

After the golf we would find a pub and sit down to watch the rivalry in Wales. That is my first memory of a Ryder Cup

Why is the Ryder Cup so attractive to watch? Well my guess is because it is a team event. Like football, rugby and cricket. The whole nation gets behind the team to cheer on the lads.

In a normal golf tournament you wound support the local lad. Maybe pick one golfer or two to cheer on through the comp. But the support is for an individual taking on hundreds of other individuals. The Ryder Cup is picking a side, good versus evil. Europe versus America.

Also another factor is the passion that the players have. They want to win together. They will support and cheer on their teammates. And because of their determination and devotion you want to share in the ecstasy of the moment.

This is my second Ryder Cup and I cannot wait for it to begin. For Friday I have BBC Radio 5 Live preset on the radio in the car. My iPad will be tucked into my drawer in work. The link for updates will be constantly being refreshed come the first tee off. I'm more excited about this than of Transfer Deadline Day.

So come on Europe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment